The Pine Rivers area was possibly overlooked due to the difficulty in crossing the river. However, Old Northern Road was used as the main route to the north, and in the 1840s and 50s many miners travelled on this road on their way to the goldfields near Gympie. This road was also the link to the cattle farms in the north. Still, the Albany Creek area was perhaps more populated than other Pine Rivers areas, as it was located on the main road to the north, as well as being of a distance from Brisbane, that travellers would stop by the river crossing for refreshments before continuing their journey north. The population of Albany Creek in 1850 was... 2!
James Cash, who settled on the south bank of the South Pine River around 1851, and in 1859 he became the first freehold landholder in what was to become the Pine Rivers Shire. By the time of his death in 1870, James had increased his original land holdings to more than 1,000 acres by progressively adding selections north of the South Pine River. The original ford over the South Pine River had become known as Cash’s Crossing and the Cash family name has since been perpetuated by the modern road crossing .
During the 1860’s James Cash, the first settler in the area, took up land where Eatons Hill is today, next to the crossing that now bears his name. Much of the local land had been sold to a mix of new settlers and Brisbane-based entrepreneurs. A handful of farmers, such as Charles Ballinger, Frederick Greensill and Harrington William Mountford, were the first to clear the rainforest and plant crops in the fertile soil which was to be found along the floodplain of the South Pine River. During the late 1860s and 1870s, other significant pioneering families, such as the Eaton, Leitch, Draper, Cuthbert, Ireland and Morgan families, arrived in the area and leased land from the entrepreneurs or purchased it as it became available.
The population of Albany Creek grew slowly from 90 locals in 1891 to just 280 by 1960, when at the same time, the area of Eaton's Hill had just 48 residents.
Large army camps were established on northern banks of the river during World War One, and a smaller camp during World War Two, where the Eaton's Hill Hotel & Brendale sporting ovals are today. The pace of change in Albany Creek remained slow until, commencing in 1960, parcels of farmland were progressively sold to various developers for residential development which gradually accelerated during the next two decades into the 80’s.
A small amount of gold was found in shafts dug into Eatons Hill, although there is no visible evidence of these today. Central and southern areas of Eatons Hill were formally known “Bunya Park” a 10 hectare native fauna and flora preservation park that opened in 1968 and closed in 1994 to allow for housing development.
Albany Creek is a lovely, family orientated suburb located 16km north of Brisbane. Within the Moreton Bay Region, Albany Creek borders the South Pine River and 1700 acres of State Forest. Bunyaville State Forest Park has been a favourite recreational destination for locals, whether you’re picnicking with the family, mountain biking, bird watching or bush walking, this is a great spot to spend some time in nature. With parks covering nearly 3% of the total suburb area, leafy Albany Creek is a popular place to raise young families.
Exceptional education facilities include four primary schools and a state high school at your doorstep. Well serviced bus routes and nearby train stations make the work commute to Brisbane City and surrounding suburbs an easy option if you prefer to leave the car at home.
Albany Creek has three main shopping centres, including Woolworths, Aldi and Coles, with many smaller shopping facilities to choose from. Quality restaurants, fast food outlets, a council library, gyms and Leisure Centre with pools and water slide are also located in Albany Creek.
There are many recreational activities to enjoy, including the largest soccer club in Brisbane (ACE FC), netball, (ACE Netball), rugby league (Albany Creek Crushers), and the Albany Creek Cricket Club. With the stunning beaches of the Sunshine Coast under an hour away, your weekends are certainly covered!
In recent years, Albany Creek has experienced strong capital growth in real estate prices and sales activity. According to the 2016 Census, Albany Creek has 5657 dwellings: 80% were either fully owned or being purchased; with only 15% rental properties. This further indicates just how livable Albany Creek is to raise your family!
Albany Creek, on the south side of South Pine River, is 16 km north of Central Brisbane. In the 2011 Census the population of Albany Creek was just above 15,800. Major features of the area include Albany Creek Leisure Centre, Woolworths Market Place, Bleakley Park, Cuthbert Park, Hillside Historic Park, John Leitch Memorial Park, Kym Grayson Park, Lemke Park, Matthew Hawthorn Playground, Richard Lee Reserve, Albany Creek Pony Club, Albany Creek Community Centre and numerous schools and early learning centres.
The Albany Creek area was first referred to as the “Pine”, and later the “South Pine”. The “South Pine” was then restricted to the northern section of the South Pine River, while the southern side was known as “Chinaman’s Creek”, and this is how it appeared on the survey map prepared in 1859. In 1885, this name was changed to Albany Creek. It was not until 1972 that the suburb of Eatons Hill, was officially gazetted.
60 Years Later
From just 12 houses in the 50’s
to an estimate of 7020 houses today.